The Giuoco Piano is one of my favorite openings. It has lots of fun traps that might help you win the game immediately, plus it has a nice long-term attacking plan in case your opponent doesn't fall for any early tricks. Let's take a look at it:
I hope you enjoyed that game! Here are some key points to remember:
1. When black plays ...Nf6, you play d3. When black plays ...Bc5, you play c3.
2. Play Bb3 as soon as you can after c3 and d3.
3. If they play ...d5
- on move four, take the pawn, castle, and play Re1 and d4.
- on move five, take the pawn and play Qb3
- after castling, play Qe2.
4. If they play ...Be6, reply Bc2 and try for the pawn fork d4-d5
5. If they play Bg4, play h3 and then take your knight for an adventure: Nb1-d2-f1-g3-f5.
6. Remember the overload tactic Qf3 and Bxh6!
7. If black has played h7-h6, the g3 knight should go to f5 so the queen has the g3 square. If black hasn't played h6, move the g3 knight to f5 and play h4-h5 to attack the black Bg6.