Priviet! Hopefully you are enjoying the warm summer weather by watering the garden and studying tactics! Today Mrs Jessica E Prescott (aka BoundingOwl) will provide you with 6 puzzles where YOU decide if there is a winning combination.
This is pretty tricky. Most of the time you are told, Hey, there is a FORK here in two moves, or whatever. But in a real chess game, no one will tell you when to look for tactics! Sometimes they are there, and sometimes your position is just pretty. The way to do it is to look one move further. Does your tactic really work?
RULE: Ask yourself the four questions (read the COMBO article). If there is no tactic, PLAY SOLID CHESS.
Four questions review:
1. Are there any hanging pieces?
2. Are there any loose (only guarded once) pieces?
3. Is the king weak or open?
4. Do I have 2 or more pieces working together?
I know that it's hard to play solid chess; sometimes I like to play crazy moves because they are fun. But the point is, if there is no actual trick in the position, just play a good calm move. :) Check your answers by clicking on the ARROWS.
1. White to move. Black has just played Ne4. Is there a tactic here?
2. White to move. How about now?
3. White to move. Black has just play R8f8. Is the black queen hanging?
4. White to move. Should she sac the knight on e5? Look one move further.
5. (SUPER TROPHY TRICKY) White to move. Can white win the queen with Bxf7+? Remember to look one move further!! (Hint: black may have a discovery...)
6. White to move. Is the black queen safe?
How did you do? Remember to ask the four questions and try to play solid chess!
Until next time...