Aloha! When your opponent has a lone king, it is super important that you know how to checkmate quickly. No dilly dallying, and no stalemates! Mrs Jessica E Prescott (aka BoundingOwl) will give you 9 of the most common endgame checkmates, where one side is crushing!
Black has only a king. You have the white pieces and you only get TWO moves to find checkmate. It doesn't matter if you can do the queen dance in 14 moves, you only get 2! Pretend you are on the clock, but remember, strive for accuracy first, and speed second.
1. This puzzle is the easiest! How fast can you get the answer right?
2. This is a little trickier. You are up a whole queen, but maybe you only have 2 seconds left on your clock. Can you find mate? (NOT STALEMATE!)
3. Only two bishops? That's all you need! (This time you are black.)
4. The oft forgotten queen and rook trick.
5. Queen and knight are bffs. You should see BOTH answers!
6. Criss cross mate, forced! First get into position, but remember, black gets a move, too!
7. Age old Arabian mate. Oldest checkmate ever! You should see BOTH answers.
8. Little known bishop and rook mate.
9. Master level knight and bishop mate.
So have you memorized those patterns yet? Did you click on the links along the way for extra practice? Have you made your dad (or grandpa?) a card for Father's day?
Tip of the week: First memorize, then internalize (understand from the inside).